Our community needs YOUR help.
At this time of year, the level of need in our community rises: higher costs for food and heat, as well as a downshift in outdoor seasonal work (construction, painting, and more) mean that families require our assistance more than ever.
It’s hard to be hungry.
It’s hard to tell your children that there isn’t anything extra for the holiday table.
It’s hard for our seniors to face a holiday without food.
It’s hard to work all day, and still not have enough to make ends meet.
Fortunately, we’re here to meet that need. The White Center Food Bank has special holiday distributions, and we’re getting ready to see our highest numbers of clients of the year and to serve them delicious, healthy food. For the week preceeding Thanksgiving, clients make appointments to collect special holiday foods, and we provide turkeys, potatoes, dressing, vegetables, desserts and more.
In order to meet the incredibly high level of need, we rely upon our community more than ever at this time of year: financial donations, volunteer hours, and gifts of food.
Here are some ways that you can get involved to be part of the solution to help feed hungry families at the holidays:
1) First and foremost, we rely upon your financial donations. Please consider giving to us (you can use the “Donate” button on this website, or send in a check, or come by to visit us in person!) to feed hungry families this season.
2) Please donate food! While usually we can purchase food below discount prices (stretching your donation even farther to feed more hungry people), did you know that at the holidays stores offer turkeys below wholesale prices?
- Please consider donating a turkey or ingredients for a holiday dinner! Our building is open from 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday, and we would gladly accept your donation here. Ask for a tour, and Kristina would be happy to show you around!
- Fauntleroy Church (UCC) is holding a turkey drive on Sunday, November 23. Please visit them at http://www.fauntleroyucc.org/news.php for information, or bring them a frozen turkey from 9am to 12p on Sunday, November 23. Our Executive Director, Rick Jump, will have a refrigerated truck onsite and will deliver them back to the food bank that day for distribution before Thanksgiving. (Thank you, Fauntleroy UCC!)
- The Roxbury Safeway is participating in Northwest Harvest’s “Hometown Harvest” and all food and financial donations at that location will go directly to the White Center Food Bank. (Thank you, Roxbury Safeway and Northwest Harvest!)
- QFC is participating in Food Lifeline’s “Bringing Hope to the Table” program, which also directly benefits the White Center Food Bank. (Thank you, QFC and Food Lifeline!)
- Albertson’s is collecting cash donations for holiday meals, and donations given at the 1st Ave. S & 128th location benefit the White Center Food Bank now through December 25. (Thank you, Albertson’s!)
Did you know that usually, the food bank can purchase food at prices below those available to the public, but that at the holidays stores discount turkeys below the prices available to us? Please consider buying an extra turkey for a family in need.
Chicken Friday Christmas is on December 12 at The Barrel in Burien, and all the proceeds benefit the White Center Food Bank. We hope to see you there!
THANK YOU to this incredible community for the support that you have shown us. We are grateful, and we really, truly, could not do it without you. At this time of year we wonder how we can possibly meet the immensity of need in our community, but we know that you will come through for those who need help, and we are glad to be a part of the solution.
Happy holidays, everyone. Stay warm out there!